In a world troubled by the consequences of an expanding global economy, the Schumacher Center is a trusted voice for positive change and citizen action, linking people, land, and community by building local economies. In this our twenty-sixth year staff, volunteers, and board of directors:
- Mourned the death of Jane Jacobs, champion of regional economies, friend and Advisory Board member of the Schumacher Center;
- Welcomed leading young activists from inner-city neighborhoods of New Orleans, Boston, Lexington, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and nearby Hudson, New York, who joined with others in our May seminar to explore tools for building sustainable local economies;
- Added new publications to our growing Annual E. F. Schumacher Lectures collection featuring leading thinkers on ecology, sustainability, economics, and community;
- Continued to steward and grow the unique collection of books and papers in our Library, including Fritz Schumacher’s personal books and papers, an archival treasure;
- Refined and added to the content at our web site, now drawing over 6,000 hits per day;
- Collaborated with other organizations—Business Alliance for Local Living Economies, Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Association, Northeast Organic Farming Association, Orion Society, Marion Institute, Vermont Commons, the newly forming National Community Land Trust Network, and a vibrant young local currency network—to celebrate the growing citizen interest in shaping local solutions to global problems;
- Hosted researchers, handled growing media attention to our work, and in general responded to the many inquiries regarding our strategies for rebuilding regional economies in a socially, environmentally, and culturally responsible manner;
- Strove to put theory into action in our home region of the Berkshires with the September 29th scheduled launch of BerkShares, a local currency developed in collaboration with the Southern Berkshire Chamber of Commerce, local banks, and local businesses—and designed to serve as a model for other
- And planned another wonderful Annual E. F. Schumacher Lecture program for October to gather our members together in common fellowship and celebration.
Membership support has been, and continues to be, essential to sustaining the programs of the Schumacher Center. Won’t you make your tax-deductible donation today?