About the Schumacher Center for a New Economics
The Schumacher Center is a non-profit organization based in Western Massachusetts that uniquely combines vision, application, and communication to further the transition to a new economy— one that supports both people and the planet. Our multidisciplinary approach consists of research, applied theory, public campaigns, and educational events to identify an alternative socio-economic system that is capable of addressing the enormous challenges of our times.
About the Internship:
The Schumacher Center for a New Economics is currently seeking a part-time intern to work with and support our Local Currency Program Director. The Local Currency Intern will focus on building BerkShares, the local currency for Berkshire County, Massachusetts.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Maintain and expand BerkShares program as it increases trade in Northern Berkshires County.
- Manage BerkShares website, including directory, and updating numbers from banks.
- Create e-newsletters to businesses.
- Handle inquiries from press both through email and arranging visits with BerkShares businesses and board members.
- Work with BerkShares Board in organizing events.
- Develop new brochures and ad campaigns.
- Maintain information on other local currency programs with the purpose of updating the informative database of global local currencies for the Schumacher website.
Qualified candidates must have:
- A current U.S. Driver’s License and the use of a car.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Familiarity with public relations and a high comfort-level with interviews and public speaking;
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently;
- A passion for local economies and local currency;
- Prior experience with web-editing and design preferred.
Housing in a 4 bedroom shared home near the Schumacher Center’s office and Library is available. This internship will be supported by Rachel Moriarty, Local Currency Program Director. The Local Currency Intern will work 32 hours per week and will receive a stipend of $100 a week.
If interested, please send a resume, a cover letter, a 1-2 page writing sample, and an unofficial academic transcript to: email@example.com with “local currency internship” in the subject line.