About the Schumacher Center for a New Economics
The Schumacher Center is a non-profit organization based in Western Massachusetts that uniquely combines vision, application, and communication to further the transition to a new economy— one that supports both people and the planet. Our multidisciplinary approach consists of research, applied theory, public campaigns, and educational events to identify an alternative socio-economic system that is capable of addressing the enormous challenges of our times.
About the Internship:
The Local Currency Intern will focus on building BerkShares, the local currency for Berkshire County, Massachusetts.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Maintain and expand BerkShares program as it increases trade in Northern Berkshires County.
- Manage BerkShares website, including directory, and updating numbers from banks.
- Create e-newsletters to businesses.
- Handle inquiries from press both through email and arranging visits with BerkShares businesses and board members.
- Work with BerkShares Board in organizing events.
- Develop new brochures and ad campaigns.
- Maintain information on other local currency programs with the purpose of updating the informative database of global local currencies for the Schumacher website.
Qualified candidates must have:
- A current U.S. Driver’s License and the use of a car.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Familiarity with public relations and a high comfort-level with interviews and public speaking;
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently;
- A passion for local economies and local currency;
- Prior experience with web-editing and design preferred.
If interested, please send a resume, a cover letter, a 1-2 page writing sample, and an unofficial academic transcript to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “local currency internship” in the subject line.